Tuesday, July 6, 2010

Got Your Rome Face On ?? (post for Saturday July 3rd)

We moved into our dorm in Milan for school today. We took a 4 hour train ride up from Rome. My experience on the train was a NIGHTMARE. It wouldn’t have been so bad except my roommates and I had to travel with our entire luggage for the month with us, not just a backpack.
As you can see, we didn't pack very light

We were in Rome from Wednesday morning until we left today, so a lot of this post will be about our stay there . We stayed in a hostel and it was rough because it was cramped and had no air conditioning but we had a locked room to ourselves so despite the heat and stairs at least we knew we were safe . The only thing good about the hostel was the owner Franco he was super nice; singing Karaoke with him on the second night was definatly a highlight . Being uncomfortable in the hostel for a few nights was worth it for the location though; we were only a few blocks from the colosseum which was amazing

My roomates and I on the balcony of our hostel on our last night there, we had a great view. you can see the colosseum in the backround in the second 'box' in from the right on the gate.

this is one of my favorite pictures from our day site seeing

During our stay we also saw the National Museum (it has that famous statue ‘the disc thrower’ inside of it), the Spanish steps, we went to Vatican city, saw the Sistine chapel, ate delicious gelatio (pistachio's my new favorite flavor) and saw the trevi fountain.

my roomate Sagan and I infront of the fountian :0)

Although the sites in Rome were amazing the ambiance was not what I had expected. It seems like all Italian people were trying to steal from you or rip you off at all times. You would always have to be clutching your purse and double checking receipts and change. Not knowing the language makes you feel very helpless against them, I didn’t like feeling like a target.

My roomates (from left Sagan, Vilan and Marie) at a pizza place for lunch our 2nd day in Rome .This pizza place was actually bad they tried to rip us off but I think this is a cute pic of everyone so I wanted to post it.

So all in all I am so happy I got to see so many great sites but I’m defiantly relieved to finally be in our safe dorm in Milan and to be able to let my guard down at least a little. (not to mention the AMAZING air conditioning and clean HUGE room we all get to share here! ..the moment we opened our door I could hear heaven is a place on earth )
I think its going to be a great month :)

P.S If anyone from the programs reading this be sure to talk to me or my roomates (in 718) before you go to Rome so we can give you in depth tips about how to navigate the city without getting ripped off and tell you about the cool places to stay and go and the awesome Roma pass!

No comments:

Post a Comment